Don't Look Back In Anger (Oasis,1995)


Despite being one year younger than me, this song took its time to find its way into my head. When it finally got to my heart, I have to admit it also got its place into my forever playlist. It happened as it was supposed to happen: when I needed most to be reminded that I shouldn't let anger consume all I had become.
Image result for oasis don't look back in angerBefore I try to explain my favourite part of this song, I find myself obliged to offer some context about the band itself and their influences. The band was originally called Rain, but the name was changed to Oasis at Liam Gallagher's suggestion. "This change was inspired by an Inspiral Carpets tour poster that hung in the Gallagher brothers' bedroom. One of the venues the poster listed was the Oasis Leisure Centre in Swindon." (Oasis (band) - Wikipedia) As for the influences they cited, these include: "the Beatles, an influence that was frequently labelled as an <<obsession>> by British media. In addition, members of Oasis have cited Nirvanathe Rolling Stones, the DoorsJimi HendrixBob DylanPink Floydthe VerveLed ZeppelinDavid Bowie and many others." (Oasis (band) - Wikipedia)

Speaking of influences, one could say Don't Look Back In Anger "is comprised of the intro to John Lennon's Imagine ... and a hint of their own Whatever." (Walsh, 2010, p. 301)

The message of the song is plain and simple - the title practically gives you this free piece of advice - and one doesn't even have to listen to the song itself for it. 

- to be continued -

___________________________________________________________________________________________________



Oasis (band) - Wikipedia. (n.d.). Retrieved November 20, 2017, from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_(band)

The image was taken from Oasis. Don't Look Back In Anger Single Cover.

Walsh, M. (2010). The X FM Top 1000 Songs of All Time. London: Elliott & Thompson Limited.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Of Horror (Biffy Clyro, 2009)